Thursday, July 19, 2007

She’s Out Back Counting Stars

Soundtrack: “Stars” by Hum

Kids these days have no idea what they are talking about when they say “I listen to Emo.” What they call Emo these days is nothing more than poppy derivative bullshit. According to a bunch of online sources including Fourfa.com and Wikipedia, Emo and “Emocore” are terms used to describe a subgenre of hardcore punk which originated in the Washington, DC music scene of the mid-1980s. One of the bands that popped up in the early 90s and actually found a little more success than some of it’s peers is Hum. I remember hearing “Stars” in high school and falling in love with the song. It was heavy, it was beautiful, it was one of the best songs I had heard. In fact it is one of the songs that made me want to write music. So, when some 15-year-old kid wearing his girlfriend’s pants and a bad haircut tells you he listens to “Emo”, he's full of shit. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you some real Emo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a total mind blower...You took the words totally out of my mouth about hum as I was just looking them up because I forgot their name for the counting stars song..
YOU TOTALY RULE!
purplehondacbr@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

DAMN RIGHT!! I don't think I could've stated it better myself.