Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Why Religion and Politics Do Not Mix Well
Soundtrack “Four Cornered Lives” by Vaux

Another election has passed and it has become apparent that people are retarded.

Maybe that's a little harsh, so I'll say instead it is apparent that people are ignorant. In Colorado there were two important ballot issues. One was an amendment to the state constitution that defined marriage strictly as a union between a man and a woman. Wait a second. When was a state amendment necessary to define marriage? What of those who have a different definition, are we saying that they are not human? It passed, and a referendum that allowed for domestic partnerships that are not defined as marriages was voted down.

Some might be asking why this is a bad idea. It is an incredibly awful idea because in the United States we have two documents called the Constitution and Bill of Rights that declares that people who are citizens of this wonderful nation have certain inalienable rights. The first amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." It is that first sentence that is most important. Freedom of religion, or lack thereof.

First of all, I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle. I think it is immoral, but I also understand the concept of free will. It is an important concept for people to grasp, yet people cannot seem to be able to do so. When you restrict the rights of a certain groups, or write legislation that favors a certain majority, you are cheapening the quality of life of the group or persons who are having their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness restricted. This includes gay people. We've abolished slavery, why can we not allow people who choose to live a certain way to live their lives?

Here's another way to look at it. Try looking at it from an entirely different perspective. Suppose you lived in a society where homosexual relationships were the norm. If the government put into place legislation that did not allow legal heterosexual relationships, aka the traditional marriage, would you not be outraged? I know I would.

It's a touchy subject, for sure. Ultimately I look at things this way: as a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ, I am to show love to everyone I encounter. I'm not always the best at doing this, but I try. I believe that restricting people's rights is not showing love. It is pretty much the opposite, actually. So when I do things to hurt or disadvantage a fellow human being in the name of morality, a morality they obviously do not share with me, I am doing the opposite of showing the love of Christ. And so is everyone else who does this.

Jesus Christ hung out with the Scum of the earth. He saved an adulterous prostitute's life. He wasn't about the moral high road, because He knew that no man or woman can take that road until he or she has accepted grace. There are a lot of people who have not accepted grace. Let's try to show them a little love. Their lives depend on it.

This is my plea... stop the hate. It's killing me.

No comments: