Saturday, April 07, 2007

Smart = Sexy

“Hot Soft Light” by The Hold Steady

I have been noticing a trend that frankly makes me smile really big.

Smart girls are popular.

It may be that this trend is only within certain circles, because I have noticed that there is a similar and disturbing trend in the media. This trend is ditzy party girls. Paris Hilton, “The Bad Girls Club”, and celebrity cat fights are all the rage right now. And while Geekdom has held on to it’s hot girls for years, starting with Captain Kirk’s girls on the original Star Trek, these hot girls were not always a part of that community.

But now video games are cool, not something for geeks and nerds and losers. Star Wars has firmly entrenched into pop culture, and Kari Byron on Mythbusters makes being smart, well, sexy. All I have to say is it's about time.

I am proud of being a geek. I am proud of being smart now, but when I was a kid I was ridiculed for it. I read books instead of watching TV (although I had a few shows that I loved), I listened to music that wasn't the flavor of the month (something that I am still proud to do today), and I could draw like a motherfucker. I was the “wierd” kid. It took some time to come to terms with being a little bit different, but I have grown into it and now I openly embrace my geekiness. And the great thing is, so are all of the hot girls who were afraid to before. Plus, geeks are just plain fun in the sack... If you need solid proof, just check out Wired’s Sex Drive blog.

You know what this means? Me and some lucky geek girl out there are one day going to openly embrace our geekiness together. Bust out the Voltron DVD!

No comments: