Wednesday, May 02, 2007

No More War And No More Soldiers

Soundtrack: “With Every Light” by The Smashing Pumpkins.

I apologize for the long stretch of time between posts. I've had a lot stewing on my stove, so to speak. There is stuff I want to talk about, but for the last two or three weeks I just have not had any creative drive whatsoever.

I am going to get personal again for just a little bit. I am making a compromise of sorts. I am laying down my weapons because I am tired of fighting. Being right is not worth the trouble I have gone through. I am no longer going to agonize over what is “good” or “right” or “just”. I do not care about things that do not concern me. From this point on I am simply going to live like every day is my last day.

I have always been a very competitive person, but mostly with myself. And I am sick of beating myself up over everything. It is going to take some work, I know, but I cannot justify being miserable and agonizing over the little things. It is time to not just look at the big picture, but obliterate anything that gets in the way of the big picture. That means killing a lot of darlings, as they say in the literary world. It also means focusing on my needs for once. I have been putting everyone before me and sacrificing so much, and people do not give back. So fuck 'em.

But I still love. I still have a love for people who inspire and give just as much, and sometimes more, than I. I still love what I do, but I am going to find a new catalyst a new outlet. No more doing penny jobs for friends, I am going to aim high. And I am going to work hard to form lasting relationships with people who are tied to the graphic design world. I am going to make the most of these relationships. And I am going to spread the work of my friends and colleagues because they deserve it.

I will start with Pete Harrison. Based in the UK, Pete is the mastermind behind Aeiko.net and Funkrush Clothing. And I would have to say that Pete is my favorite designer right now. Maybe ever. His typography work is amazing. He is constantly finding new and exciting ways to represent those pesky 26 letters of the alphabet. So do yourself a favor and go check his work out. It blew me away and I am a cynical designer who’s seen just about everything.

Look ma, the sun is shining on me.

No comments: