Monday, May 28, 2007

Love And Marriage

Recommended Reading: Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

So two really good friends of mine from high school got married yesterday. Of course every time someone close to me ties the knot, especially two of 'em, I naturally get thinking about relationships and love and all that good stuff. It's a bit of a quandry, marriage. Here is something that has evolved from something very personal and spiritual into something that Western society has made into a circus. Just read the tabloids or watch “Entertainment Tonight” and you can find out all the juicy details about the latest celebrity marriage and six months later use the same channels to get dirt on that couple’s divorce. It never fails. In fact, I am surprised when I hear about a celebrity marriage that lasts longer than two years.

I used to think that marriage is something that I'd like to do some day. But there are many days where I find myself saying "Marriage? Fuck that noise." I do not want my life to be a circus. I think having a kid would be awesome, kids are great and I like playing “Uncle Toph” but parenting is just not my thing right now. Not only that, but then there is the whole committing my life to another person thing. It's a little worrisome to me when I think about waking up next to the same person for the rest of my life. Probably 'cause I haven't found someone I'd want to wake up next to every day for the rest of my life. I really want to marry my best friend and as of right now, I have not found that woman yet.

In addition to that I have other responsibilities, better things to worry about/stress out over/have fun with. Like art school. That does not mean I have given up hope, however. I am sure it is in the cards. I am sure when my life has some sort of stability I will find Mrs. Christopher Short. But until then, fuck that noise. I like being independent, I like being single, and I really think I need to get my shit together before I even think about wedding cakes and tuxedos.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The only thing I can say to that is...

"STEEEL ROSE"