Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Autumn Wonderland
Soundtrack: snowy silence and the tapping of laptop keys

Today is the first big snow of the year. It started off sleeting this morning, then the sleet turned to slushy snow, and then the slush turned into wonderful big fat flakes of snow that caught in my eyelashes and slowly melted. It's been precipitating since I woke up this morning and it's been going all day long. That means that the high country is getting plenty of snow, and that makes my soul sing with joy.

Despite the snow it is still Autumn here in Colorado. And to honor this, my favorite season, I have written a poem. Enjoy.

Autumn
I traverse these autumn shadows
Black Cat can't even see my path
My foot falls silent, eyes always seeking
The dry dead leaves part as the red sea

But here in the silence
These dark forms stalk me
My fear overwhelms
As my eyes cloud
Intangible sadness
I won't let it take me
I unfurl black wings
And I fly away.

Unseen horrors peek from dark corners
They lick their lips and gnash their teeth
My mind falls silent, I can't let them find me
My fear parts as the red sea
And I traverse my mountains of uncertainty
And let my wings bandage me
My eyes fall silent, my soul always searching
And in a moment the tide is turned.

My fear will run away before me
My eyes wil paralyze their legs
My enemies will bow before me
And offer their necks to my sword

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I still have to go to work...