Monday, January 22, 2007

I Grow Old, I Grow Old...

Soundtrack: “Dirty Harry” by Gorillaz

Not physically old, but old in the sense that time is starting to creep up on me and I'm not certain if I'm going to be out of school by the age of 30, much less ever.

But whatever. I'm going to enjoy this next year of my life as much as I can. In a little more than two week I'll be 26, and I think that's a good age. I only want two things for my birthday: the love and adoration of my friends, and a tattoo. The love and adoration part is more important, though.

For quite some time now I have been wondering if pop culture's recent obsession with remakes, sequels, and retoolings will ever stop. From glib cover versions of classic songs to movies that are simply trite remakes of great films, the wonderful media machine that is Hollywood and the recording industry is churning out tired but familiar sights and sounds to the masses. And we are eating it up. All I have to say is, “What is wrong with you, people?!”

I think we are on the verge of seeing something new. People will only take the 80’s hair rock rehashes for so long before they discard that for something new and exciting. But will this new thing really be new? Grunge and alternative beat the hair bands before, but they fizzled out quickly. Now alternative describes performers like Hootie and the Blowfish and Jack Johnson, which is ironic since the Alternative tag represented the music underground.

Here's how I see it. Music, and other media for that matter, is like a funnel. There is a ton of stuff on the surface, far too much for anyone person to completely process. As the music industry processes everything, it's funneled towards the tip of the funnel, which represents the Consumer. Everything eventually becomes more pop-oriented as it passes through the funnel. The stuff that is most accessible to the largest common denominator is the stuff that makes it through the neck of the funnel.

So no matter how esoteric music gets, it will eventually become watered down more and more each year until it becomes pop drivel. There's nothing we can do about it, that is just the way it is. If you love music, you'll take it as it is and just grin and bear it. There's always the stuff on the other end of the funnel, after all. It just takes some sifting.

No comments: