Sunday, February 11, 2007

Back To The Old School

Soundtrack: Public Warning by Lady Sovereign

As you know I love all aspects of typography, including studying it’s origins. I came across this wonderful example of turn-of-the-century typography while doing my usual surfing. For those not in the know, Frederic Goudy is the father of some of the most elegant typefaces ever seen. Have you used Copperplate Gothic lately? Then you know Goudy's work. Typographers used to create catalogs of their work, a practice that is still done today, only digitally. Another thing that is different is how typefaces are sold. These days it's by the face (or by the family), but it looks like back in the day type used to come by the pound. Kinda like fish!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Topher,

I am trying to find a way to tell you this without posting a comment. Unfortunately, I couldn't so I'm just letting you know this way.
I noticed that you were into pinup art. I wanted to tell you of a wonderful showing at a place called: Old South Frame & Gallery, 1588 S. Pearl, Denver, CO 303.715.3828. www.oldartgallery.com