Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I Just Want Something I Can Never... Had?

Soundtrack: “Something I Can Never Have” by Nine Inch Nails

“I have pretty much accepted the possibility that I will never be successful. My idea of success is just too fucked up and the bar too high.”

Ah yes, hopelessness and despair. Such an awesome and uplifting way of thinking. Beer and a crappy situation at work are responsible, but days later I recognize that all hope is not lost.

Setting the bar for success is always a tricky thing. Sure, it gives a person goals and ambitions to chase, but often we human beings set the bar according to our imaginations, and I have a pretty wild imagination. When I was eleven years old my brother and I would record these funny little interviews as us being rock stars. We were being half-serious, of course. Which means that there was, and still is, ambition towards that goal of being rock stars. Not so much for my brother, I don't think, but definitely for me.

I have been told from a young age that there are great things in store for me. Those kinds of statements can warp a young mind into an ego the size of Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse is thought to be at least 500 times larger than the sun. That’s pretty astronomically huge. And you wonder why I have a superiority complex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like I've said before, I don't think the problem is the goal, I think it's the route you're trying to take to get there.