Sunday, December 24, 2006

Bah. Humbug.

Soundrack: As Daylight Dies by Killswitch Engage.

I hope everyone had a great Chanukah. I did. And I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas. I'm not even going to mention Kwanzaa because it is totally a make-believe holiday and only white schoolteacher celebrate it. That's right... black people do not celebrate that stupid, creepy holiday. They know better.

I'm writing this from my dad's office at my parents' house in Monte Vista, Colorado. If you don't know where that is, learn some fucking geography, newb. You heard me. It's going to be a white Christmas here in Colorado (most of Colorado, at least), and I couldn't be happier about that. I'm pretty happy right now because my Denver Broncos are winning against the Cincinatti Bengals. Hopefully they don't screw it up... our playoff chances depend on it.

On the subject of Christmas, have I mentioned how much I hate this time of year? If not, I do. I don't want to be a Grinch or anything, but I think it is completely too much. It's overdone on every front, especially commercially. Think about it for a few seconds... what is the first thing that happens as soon as you finish Thanksgiving dinner and wake up after falling asleep during whatever boring football game is on? The Christmas season kicks into full gear. Sometimes retailers don't even wait until Thanksgiving and they get a head start as soon as Halloween is over.

It's ridiculous.

I don't want to hear Christmas songs 24/7 for a whole fucking month. I don't want to have to be reminded of hour the average consumer spends $907 on the holidays alone. I don't want to be reminded of how a holy man named Saint Nicholas has been turned into a sad caricature of consumerism. I don't want to be reminded of how people don't even know how to fucking spell Christmas... so far this year, I've seen X-mas and even X-mass far more than I've seen the real spelling. And I certainly don't want to be reminded of how inconsiderate and closed-minded assholes are trying to make the idea of Christmas illegal. Oh, sure, it's OK to celebrate Kwanzaa, but no Christmas. Does anyone even know what Kwanzaa is? I didn't think so. I do. It's a fake holiday. It was founded by some guy in California in 1967 as an "alternative" to Christmas. Nice.

As I said before, I don't want to sound like a Grinch. All I have been doing is bitching, but I have good reason. Most people don't see Christmas for what it is. It's a gift. If you believe in Christ as your divine Savior, it is a gift from God to His people. Who are his people? Everyone. And I think everyone can get something out of Christmas. It is about giving and sacrifice and upholding promises. It is a time to be surrounded with loved ones. Unless you are unconditionally selfish, Christmas is a holidy for you. And to work so hard to cheapen it, to remove Christmas greetings because they are "biased religious blessings" is bullshit.

I'm tired of caring, though. I'm through caring, actually. I am not going to do it any more. I am going to spend time with my family, I am going to give to the people I love, and I am going to remember a Promise given to me. If it offends you, I have a couple of other words:

FUCK YOU.

And to all of you who celebrate what Christmas is about regardless of race, creed, gender, or religion... THANK YOU.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're not done caring, just more about the right things...

Anonymous said...

Okay, so is anybody else reminded of that scene in Saved where Mandy Moore screams, "I'm filled with the love of Christ!" as she chucks her Bible at that other girl?

Toph© said...

Hmmm... I don't ever remember claiming to be filled with the love of Jesus. Which is the problem.

Anonymous said...

I <3 you, tophalicious.