Saturday, July 29, 2006

Family Ties
Soundtrack: “Tonight, Tonight” by The Smashing Pumpkins

Today is day one of my family reunion, and I’m excited. It's the big Hast family reunion where all of the decendents of my great grandma and grandpa Hast get together and have a ridiculous amount of good times. We play a lot of horseshoes and volleyball and talk and laugh and reminisce. We’re loud and obnoxious, not in the crazy My Big Fat Greek Wedding kind of way, but in a good, friendly way. And of course, what would a German Lutheran family reunion be without the beer?! We're not drunks, but we can drink ‘em if we need to! Most of all it's about seeing people that you might not see again for another two years.

Family is very important to me. I think everyone should have a sense of where they came from– what their heritage is, who their ancestors are. I know a lot of people who hear me describe my family reunions and they can’t fathom it. They aren’t close with their family, or sometimes altogether hate their family. I don’t know where that comes from. Just fifty years ago there was a huge focus on families. People would gather in their living rooms and watch television shows like “The Lone Ranger” and “The Honeymooners” and eat their TV dinners. Very communal. These days you don’t see an emphasis on that anymore. Although there is a new sort of connection within families, with the advent of instant messenging and cellular phones. Everyone has some sort of family plan so that the 21st century family can still keep in contact despite everyone’s busy lives. I grew up within a close-knit family, and I couldn't be happier. Phooey on instant dinners and cell phones and no together time... I’ll take my old-fasioned family any day!

No comments: