Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hidden Things No Longer Hidden
Soundtrack: “Fixation On The Darkness” by Killswitch Engage

I don't even know where to start. I guess first of all I need to apologize... I've been so busy this week that I haven't had time to touch this blog. Nevertheless, it’s been amazing.

Let's begin with the concert on Tuesday. I had a couple of extra tickets, so I invited Jen and Brandi along for A.F.I. Jen couldn’t make it, though, so Brandi’s best friend Lauren tagged along. It was an interesting night for sure. First of all, the concert itself was amazing. The crowd, however, was awful. The opening band was nothing special, a few people liked them but overall they were trying to be the Killers only not anywhere near as well-dressed. Oh well, not a big deal since I didn't spend my twenty bucks to see them. I was there for Dillinger Escape Plan and A.F.I. Nobody else.

So then Dillinger comes on, and they are amazing. The crowd was nuts, but I was having a great time. Until about halfway through the set and a buch of meathead jocks muscled their way through the crowd and started dry humping everyone. I didn't realize fucking stupid asshole jocks had good taste in music, but apparently they liked Dillinger Escape Plan enough to sexually assault everyone. And that is fucked up. Seriously. So I ended up having to watch Dillinger from behind a buch of fucking faggot ass frat boy types. Assholes. It was way better than having to endure a bunch of idiots who didn't know how to act at a concert.

So then A.F.I comes on. They do some stuff from the new album, which I'm not all that wild about, and they do some stuff from
Sing The Sorrow, which I like, but what really makes me all warm and fuzzy inside is when they do the old stuff. I start singing along and going nuts. And I quickly realize that nobody around me knows what the hell they're playing.

It was tragic. Everyone loved when they played stuff like "Girl’s Not Grey" and "Miss Murder", but when they do "Despair Factor" hardly anyone knows the line "My life is a dark room... One. Big. Dark. Room." The crazy thing about that? Their fanclub is called the "Despair Faction". And not even their fan club can back them out.

But the worst moment of that night was during my favorite A.F.I. song of all time, "God Called In Sick Today". Davey Havok, the lead singer, has a deep-rooted tradition of walking across the crowd during that song. All of the hardcore A.F.I. fans know it. We're all expecting it, and when it happens, we go apeshit.

And then the crowd drops Davey Havok.

I was speechless.

Needless to say, Davey was pissed. Denver is one of A.F.I.’s favorite places to play, and yet we, the fans, disappointed them. And for that I will never forgive us, and I hope Davey does not either.

Wednesday I took it easy and worked on some graphic design projects. I think I went drinking that night, because I am pretty sure I have gone drinking about every night this week. Thursday was the same. I think. I honestly don’t remember, that is how crazy this week has been.

Friday was especially cool, I went down to Leela to hang out with friends, then I went upstairs to have a couple of beers at Tarantula Billiards. It was there than I ran into Kyle from Genesis, who was toasted. Well toasted. We talked, he drunk dialed a few people, and then I walked him down the stairs and made sure he found a cab OK. It was special. After that I drank with Benjamin and my little bro, it was good times.

Saturday was band practice for Joe’s Ordination, and it happened to be at 8:00 am. Keep in mind I had gone to the bars the previous night and I didn't get home until about 5:00 in the morning. And I had to be awake by 7:00 so I could practice. Yay. I did it, though, and it was fun.

That brings me to tonight. At noon I headed off with Anita and Joe’s "triplet", Dan, to the church to run through one last practice before the big event. At 3:00 the Ordination service started, and all in all I did pretty well. Afterwards was a reception with all sorts of goodies, and once Joe was done with all of the meet and greets, we headed off to his house to relax for a short while before meeting his parents at Old Chicago’s for some beers. An awesome end to a wonderful but very crazy week.

I've had a lot of things revealed to me this week. A lot of things pertaining to my life. And I think I am one step closer to understanding where I need to go, and how I will get there. And it is so stinkin' exciting you don't even know. Even though we may not understand the hidden things in life, we have the things that are revealed to us, and they are wonderful. It may sound corny, but the future is so bright I have to wear shades!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»