Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Make $19.80 An Hour, Motherf***er!
Soundtrack: "Jane Says (live)" by Jane's Addiction

I'd like to talk about panhandlers for a moment. I don't mind giving beggars my change. In fact I welcome and sometimes even relish the chance to get rid of the bulky excesses of coinage that invade my pockets from time to time. But dude, I don't want to hear your sob story. I don't want to hear your pitiful excuse about how you were kicked out of the halfway house or how you're trying to find enough money for a bus ticket or how you need money for the hostel. I don't care about your situation. Just ask me for my change because when you give me a lame excuse it really just means "I really want a dime bag but I'm such a slacker that I can't even pay for it myself."

I love Denver at this time of the night because I get to observe the city when it's naked and vulnerable. My companions during the train ride home were James and Mohammed. James was very inebriated and very excited about his new job. And Mohammed, well, he was as "cool as a Polar Bear's toenails." The best part is waiting... while I patiently anticipated the arrival of the northbound D-Line to Downing Station, I was entertained by a car of drunk people boisterously and drunkenly singing "Jane Says" out their car window. Our little city may become drowsy, but she never sleeps. There is always something to see in Denver.

No comments: