Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sountrack: "Call Me" by Blondie

Transition is something that used to scare me. I used to be utterly mortified by even the concept of the state of flux. But it is something that over the years I've grown accustomed to, eventually turning into something I relish. But I also seek simplicity and stability, so I find myself in a unique dilema... how do I have both? They are both extremes that oppose each other on the spectrum. An interesting conundrum, for sure.

Flux is the main thing I thought about as I meandered back home after Genesis tonight. Genesis is in a unique position right now... it's the first church I've witnessed in it's actual infant stages. When I first started attending Scum Of The Earth, it was in it's terrible toddler stage, and growing fast. And now that it is starting to become an adult church, I've realized that although it hasn't lost it's community feel, it's a large community that I don't entirely feel a part of. And so I have moved on. Genesis is really cool because it's even more community oriented... it's still small and still very young, but I don't see it getting to the point where it outgrows itself.

Anyway, tonight we finished up 1 John and the introduction to "What is Love?". As usual the discussion was all over the place, ranging from "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" to Yoda, but the main thrust of the conversation was centered around the concept that since God is Love, those of us who follow God and Christ should love Him and love one another. And by "one another" I mean everyone all over the world, although the relationship between a Christian and a non-Christian is always going to be much different than that of two Christians.

But here's an interesting thought... why can't people who do not believe in the divinity of Christ still utilize the simple rules of Love? The "Dance, Monkey, Dance" movie I posted earlier makes a good point at one point: we Monkeys hate each other. Not everyone, of course, but we hate monkeys who are different or come from a different background. Here's my argument: any of us, no matter what we believe, whether we are Taoist, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Islamic, whatever... we all can apply at least most of the teachings of Christ to our lives. Christ called us to love one another. So maybe we should take that advice. And I'd like to challenge everyone to simply love their neighbor. Remember the golden rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." It's beautifully simple.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not being christian, I don't feel exactly qualified to respond...but I do have several christian friends...and I don't think it's exactly fair to say "the relationship between a Christian and a non-Christian is always going to be much different than that of two Christians." As a blanket statement, anyway. Unless you mean something along the lines of, "the relationship between a woman and a man is always going to be much different than that of two women." ... different, but no better, no worse. I don't know. Statements like those above, when intended to mean "a non-Christian could never reach me on a level another Christian can" is only another way to wedge people apart. Learn from every person you know, allow them to learn from you...in short, let them change you. Otherwise...you're a monkey who hates, discriminates, and fears.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Toph© said...

Ah, yes, I should clarify... I was indeed using that statement in a "the relationship between someone of group A and someone of group B is always going to be different than that of two from group A or two from group B". And, of course, no better and no worse, just different. The same could be said for, say, two Buddhists versus a Buddhist and a non-Buddhist. And like you said, I think it's important to learn from everyone.

Also, as a disclaimer, I don't think that all non-Christians are ignorant when it comes to loving their neighbor, nor do I feel that all Christians adhere to the Golden Rule, either. I just think there are too many people in general out there who don't, and that's a bummer. Sometimes I'd rather talk to a Buddhist than another Christian because many Christians in the United States have an exceptionally skewed and scary view of things. Like that "God Hates Fags". And that gives me the jibblies.

Anonymous said...

I don't know ... I think I agree with both of you in part. Certian common experiences form a bond that others simply can't grasp. You see this all the time at a basic level with inside jokes and somebody not getting it. It doesn't mean that person isn't liked or is outside the group, they just don't understand that aspect of the others relationship. If it happens at that level in a basic way, how much more intense is it when two people have their lives founded on Christ and him crucified. It doesn't mean other relationships are bad ... just that others can't grasp that aspect of the relationship until they share in the binding experience.