Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Good Humor
Soundtrack: Educated Horses by Rob Zombie

During my senior year of high school we studied classic English literature, from Beowulf to Shakespeare. But we didn't just study the works themselves, we studied the whole circumstances surrounding them including the culture. In the Medieval world they studied what are known as the bodily humors. It was an early attempt at medicine but it still worked in a general sort of way. There are four humors, represented by colors that coresponded to whatever ailment the patient is suffering. So, black represented a Melancholic temperament, red a Sanguine temperament, green a Phlegmatic temperament, and yellow a Choleric temperament.

Over the years the bodily humors were modified to apply to more of a psychological meaning. Sanguine represents an outgoing and passionate personality, equatable to red or blood, the essence of life. They're usually the fun-loving party people. Choleric represents charismatic qualities often found in leaders, and is represented by gold or fire, which matches their fiery tempers. Next is Phlegmatic, represented by green or earth. Phlegmatics are generally self-content and kind, they can also be shy. They are down-to-earth people, thus the earth representation.

I'm what you call a Melancholic. I'm introspective and reflective. I think about everything and anything. At my core I'm a soft-hearted daydreamer who longs for my ideal life. I love silence and solitude. Everyday life is usually too chaotic. Which is totally true.

Here's what else the people who came up with this stuff have to say about me:
Given enough time alone, it's easy for you to find inner peace.
You tend to be spiritual, having found your own meaning of life.
Wise and patient, you can help people through difficult times.

At your worst, you brood and sulk. Your negative thoughts can trap you.
You are reserved and withdrawn. This makes it hard to connect to others.
You tend to over think small things, making decisions difficult.

Yeah, I think that's pretty representative of the Toph, wouldn't you say? I think it's time for me to go off and sulk some more.

No comments: