Monday, May 01, 2006

You Do Not Obey!
Soundtrack: "Jamais Vu" by Dredg

So, let's talk about religion. Specifically, how a religion based on love can be turned into hate.

I can't wrap my head around it.

It's unfathomable to me.

But it happens. Look at Muslim extremists, abortion bombers, and this lady. What makes people hate? I've thought about it, and I just don't know how it happens. I mean, sure, it's easy to make a psychological approach to it and whatnot, but in the end, there's something else that is present, a darkness that I can't define or even try to understand.

Maybe it starts small. Maybe these people were good people at one time. To make an obvious pop culture reference, perhaps they were in a situation not much unlike Anakin Skywalker. They were placed in a situation where they felt like they would do anything to prevent something they felt was bad from happening.

Or maybe it's a learned behavior... their parents taught them that such and such person is evil and must be hated. For the Muslim extremist, this seems like the most plausible explanation. But when it comes to someone who grows up in the United States, the great melting pot of the globe, I can't fathom how differences can separate. Why hate? Why hate when it only makes you a miserable person? Just love, people. Love one another, and you'll change lives. It works. Loving people is the only way to get anywhere good in life. Too bad people don't understand that.

No comments: